Lil’ bun got a pack of chocolate almond Pocky from the critter the other day and when she finished them off, all she wanted was MORE of it. I swear they put some magical sprinkles in there to make them super yums or something. Anyways, I may not know what the “secret ingredients” that make Pocky so delicious are, but what I do know is that Pockys are basically stick biscuits dipped in chocolate so how hard could it be to make them right? Well, yes and no.
Biscuits are super easy to make BUT, since these are stick biscuits they’re really delicate to work with. Plus, dipping them in chocolate is almost too tedious of a process to go through and knowing me, I’m not patient enough to do tedious tasks. So, being the lovely blogger I am, I decided to make things easier for you. Instead of having to deal with the troublesome task of trying to incorporate the coconut oil and milk into the flour, all you have to do is put everything in a bag and shake/squish! If that’s not wonderful enough for you, there’s no messy table to clean up afterwards because everything’s already done in the bag!
3/4 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons margarine/coconut oil
2 tablespoons milk
3/4 cup chocolate chips
sprinkles, white chocolate, crushed nuts, sea salt, cookie crumbs to decorate
1. Pour the flour, sugar, and salt into a ziplock bag (or any thick seal-able plastic bag). Seal the bag and shake it.
2. Add the margarine/coconut into the bag and rub it into the flour until incorporated so that there are no lumps remaining. Pour in the milk and mix everything together again until it forms a dough (if it’s too dry add a teaspoon more milk).
3. When the dough comes together, transfer it onto a lightly floured surface and knead it until smooth. Roll the dough out into a 3mm thick rectangle if it’s still too uneven around the edges, cut them off to even it out.
4. Transfer the dough onto a piece of parchment paper and cut the dough into 3mm wide strips to resemble Pocky sticks. The length of each stick is up to you. Separate the sticks so that there are gaps in between them, making sure you’re careful because they might break.
5. Bake at 350F for 10-13 minutes until golden. When they’re done set them aside until they have fully cooled.
6. While the sticks are cooling, melt the chocolate chips in a bowl over hot water or microwave it.
7 . When the sticks are cooled, use a spoon or rubber spatula to coat them with the chocolate.
8. Lightly roll them in the toppings if you choose to use any.
9. Transfer the sticks onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and place them in the fridge to harden.
10. Munch away!
Just as I initially thought, these were INCREDIBLY tedious to make. But on the bright side, you get a bunch of them out of one batch. I think we ended up yielding around 3 boxes worth of Pocky with one batch of dough which was a super awesome thing because we couldn’t stop eating them once we started. It was as if we were addicted to eating these little fellas…but who wouldn’t be? I mean, they’re just so fun to eat! Although, that only means I’m probably going to have to make these again pretty soon so I’m not too fond of that. Then again, I already made this once and wrote about it…so now if lil’ bun wants Pocky again, she can make them herself. Yup, she can do that, because I’m going to stick with making my fluffy bread from now on. mhm!