These thumbprint cookies are filled with a homemade strawberry jam and made with a classic sugar cookie dough base.
They are a great treat to bake and share around Valentines’ Day or on the regular to have with a cup of tea. For a unique twist, try using blueberry, apricot, orange or even pineapple jams!
Thumbprint cookies are usually made around the holiday season but I like to make them for Valentine’s Day because there are already way too many holiday cookie options as is and adding one more onto the plethora of options I already have would simply make me go cookie crazy.
Another reason why I like to make them around this time of the year instead is because berries start to get a little cheaper around this time of year and that means I get to put my homemade jam in the middle of them instead of using one that’s store bought.
We actually make a batch of jam in the summer during berry season but it never seems to last until the new year because we just can’t get enough of it.
What is a jam that you can’t get enough of? Mine has definitely got to be strawberry!
- ½ cup coconut oil (or butter)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg (or 1 tablespoon flaxmeal + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅔ cup jam of choice
- Cream the coconut oil and sugar together in a large bowl until fluffy. Whisk in the egg and vanilla.
- Sift in the all purpose flour, sea salt and baking powder. Stir until a dough comes together. Refrigerate dough for 30 - 60 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Scoop the cookie dough by the tablespoon onto a lined cookie sheet and press each of them down slightly so that they are coin shaped. Press your thumb into the center of each one and place 1 teaspoon of jam into the impression.
- Bake at 350F for 10 - 13 minutes or until golden brown.
This post was created for Fiesta Friday, a weekly foodie link-up party. Please feel free to come join the fun, I promise you won’t regret it!