These deliciously moist 80 calorie banana protein muffins are the perfect additions to any lunchbox and are perfect to have as both a mid-day or post-workout snack!
I don’t know about you but I LOVE banana bread.
And while I do have the occasional treat every so often, I’ve been needing more and more “pick me up” snacks lately because school has been so busy and my brain has been working overtime.
So, I decided to look for a way to fuel my banana bread addiction in a healthier way.
But, let’s move on from my poor study habits and direct our attention to how there were too many nut-butter based protein muffin recipes for me count!
As someone who is a non-nut butter lover (sorry), I realized that I didn’t have many options to choose from so I decided to take the matter into my own hands and come up with something on my own!
The protein comes from protein powder instead of a nut butter so it’s nut-free.
The protein powder I used was whey + casein based so I’m sure how it would turn out with other varieties but from what I’ve read up on using protein blends in baking is the whey to go (yay puns!).
To be honest, I didn’t really know what to expect when I popped the tray of muffin batter into the oven because I’ve never baked with non-vegan protein powder before, but I just hoped for the best.
I was relieved a good 5 minutes though when the glorious scent of banana made it’s way through my house 🙂
If baking already makes your house smell so good, why do we even need to buy scented candles anymore? Plus, baking means you have a treat waiting for you 😉
Even though it smelled absolutely amazing, I didn’t get my hopes up too much because sometimes my bakes would still end up failing despite how divine it smelled.
But all my suspicions and doubts were relieved when I took a tray of deliciously, moist, aromatic banana muffins out of my oven.
I immediately knew I was done for. And went through half the batch in one go.
- 3-4 ripe bananas mashed (about 400g mashed)
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or sub vegetable oil)
- 4 eggs (sub 6 egg whites + 2 whole eggs)
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- ½ cup buckwheat flour (can sub whole wheat/all purpose)
- 3 scoops Quest Nutrition multipurpose protein powder (84g)*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- These deliciously moist 80 calorie banana protein muffins are the perfect additions to any lunchbox and are perfect to have as both a mid-day or post-workout snack!
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine the mashed banana, vanilla, greek yogurt, coconut oil and eggs in a large bowl. Whisk until smooth. You can complete this step in a food processor or blender if you like.
- Mix in the buckwheat flour, protein powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir until a batter forms.
- Divide batter evenly into 12 lined or greased muffin tins. Bake at 350F for 15 - 20 minutes or golden and until tooth pick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
- Let muffins cool for 10 minutes before removing. Munch warm and store extras in an air-tight container for up to a week.
This post was created for Fiesta Friday, a weekly foodie link-up party. Please feel free to come join the fun, I promise you won’t regret it!