On the way home from the dentist, lil’ bun picked up a korean sesame bread mix kit from H-mart. We love these things and used to buy them every single time we came across them at korean bakeries. These little buns started adding up though at $0.60 a pop, but a kit like this was $3, and it came with enough mix to make two dozen of them! We’ve made these before in the past and have never been able to get it right but this time we finally figured out the korean instructions and made the perfect batch!
After getting the kit, all you need is 70mL of water and an egg, pretty simple right?
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celsius
- Pour a bag of the package mix into a bowl.
Add in 70mL of water and the egg.
- Mix! It’ll look really dry at the beginning and you won’t believe it’ll end up forming a dough, but just keep stirring,
- After a while, the liquid will get incorporated into the flour. At this point, you can form the dough into a giant ball.
- The box instructions tell you to form the dough into 7 to 8 buns, but we ended up making 12 smaller ones because we wanted more of these yummy little morsels. Make sure you space them out 1.5 inches apart, because they expand quite a bit in the oven!
Here’s the MOST IMPORTANT step, sprinkle water on top of the dough balls BEFORE putting them in the oven. This helps give the sesame buns their signature crispy, chewy outer crust.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes and they’re done! They should be lightly browned on the top and they should feel dry/matte and light when you touch them.
Aren’t they the cutest little things?
The inside should look all glutinous like this if they are made correctly. They are crispy and light on the outside and full of chewiness on the inside. Yumm!
At first lil’ bun was worried because she thought we made too many, but I told her that for sure there wouldn’t be enough to go around and sure enough I was right. Within half an hour, they were gone! I only ended up having half of one because they were gone so fast…good thing we have another package of the mix to make for tomorrow! (: