This Earl Grey Tea cupcake is fragrant with the addition of lemon zest. Feel free to add a zesty lemon icing or a coconut cream frosting for an added touch of elegance.
Grayson’s favorite tea of all time is earl grey tea. He has to have at least a cup or two a day and sometimes he keeps a bag in his pocket for “emergencies.” I probably wasn’t supposed to share that but he has to forgive me right?
So because he and a whole bunch of people in the world enjoy this tea I decided to see what would happen if I added the earl grey leaves to a simple vanilla cake recipe.
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour (can sub buckwheat for GF option)
- ¾tsp baking powder
- ½tsp baking soda
- ½tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- ¼ cup agave or honey
- ½ cup milk of choice
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 earl grey tea bags
- zest from 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease or line 12 cupcake tins.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into a medium bowl. Add lemon zest and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat up the milk and steep one of the earl grey tea bags in it. Let sit for 5 mins. Cut open the other earl grey tea bag and add it to the flour mixture.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and sugar on high speed until pale and thick.
- Add in the honey, earl grey milk, and oil. Mix well and slowly add into egg mixture at low speed until combined.
- Add in flour mixture in few batches, mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into the baking tins. Only fill them until ¾ full.
- Bake until golden brown for 15 - 20 minutes or a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean..
- Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes. Then remove cupcakes and cool on wire rack.