To get in the festive fall season, we felt like having some cinnamon-y nutmeg-y spice muffins. They just scream autumn at you, well, least we thought so. Not only that, but they are perfect as a quick nutritious breakfast to go meal. It has your whole wheat to keep you full, cranberries for some fruity tartness, banana for sweetness, spices for….well..spice, and seeds/nuts for healthy fats and a good brain kick start! What’s not to love?
Ingredients (makes 12 mini muffins OR 6 medium muffins)
adapted from specialtycakecreations
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup oats
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 almond milk (or regular milk)
1/3 cup vegetable oil (we used grapeseed oil)
1 mashed banana OR 1 egg
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup assorted dried fruits (we used cranberry)
2 tablespoon pumpkin seeds (optional)
2 tablespoon sunflower seeds (optional)
1. In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
2. In a medium bowl, mix whisk together the sugar, almond milk, vegetable oil, and mashed banana/egg in a large bowl.
3. Create a well in the dry in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in the wet ingredients.
4. Add oats, chopped almonds, dried fruit and seeds if using. Stir together until evenly distributed and just combined. DO NOT overmix the batter or tunnels will form in your muffins and they will become tough. ):
5. Grease your muffin tin or line them with festive paper liners. Fill each tin with batter until it’s 3/4 of the way up.
6. Bake at 375 F for 15 – 25 minutes until golden brown and comes clean when poked in the center with a toothpick. Remove from the muffin tins, let cool.
7. MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH.
Despite the oatmeal and whole wheat, these muffins were anything but dense. Mmmm and the aroma from the spices baking in our oven, just lovely. LIl’ bun isn’t a fan of spices, but after smelling the scent the oven was giving off, she couldn’t resist. Not to mention how cute they looked since they were muffin minis! For added sweetness, chocolate chips can always be added, if you’re into those little guys. These completely put us in the mood for the fall season.
In case you missed my pumpkin treats, here they are!