It REALLY doesn’t get any better than PORTABLE. APPLE. PIE.
Especially if it’s filled with a caramel!
I’ve only ever had a caramel apple once in my life and it was when I was on a girls trip a few years ago.
At the time, I wasn’t a huge fan of it because well, let’s just be honest, they aren’t exactly the cleanest treat to have…it’s sticky and gooey and it gets all over the place if you’re not careful.
And I have yet to have another one since that messy experience…
But lately I’ve been having an inkling for one because it’s apple season and for some reason everyone has been all about caramel apples lately!
Or at least that’s what it seemed like because I was downtown the other day and I saw at least 5 people walk by me with one!
I took this as a sign and ended up making these scrumptious apple pie bars with caramel drizzle to satisfy my craving! This way, I get all the goodness without the mess!
Ingredients (makes 12):
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (feel free to use all purpose)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup coconut oil (butter and margarine can be substituted)
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon coconut oil (butter and margarine can be substituted)
2 granny smith apples (peeled and thinly sliced)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup whole wheat flour (feel free to use all purpose)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup caramel bites
1. Cut your coconut oil/butter/margarine into 1cm cubes. Put them in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Mix everything together with a fork or pastry cutter until the coconut oil resembles coarse crumbs or peas.
2. Stir in your egg and milk. Set your dough aside.
3. Combining your apple slices, brown sugar, and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Stir until your apples are well coated with the mixture. Place 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a sautee pan on medium heat. When the coconut oil has melted, add in your apple mixture and cook until apples are tender. Then, remove from heat.
4. Press 2/3 of your dough into a greased or foiled 8″ x 8″ baking pan. Pour half your apple filling on top, sprinkle in your caramel bites and top with the other half of the apple filling. Then, place pieces of your remaining topping on top.
5. Bake at 350F for 30 – 45 minutes until golden brown.