Love cereal and milk but can’t have it everyday because you’re always on the go?
Well these are the perfect muffins for you because you get to have the pleasure of having that yummy breakfast in portable form!
It’s been a while since lil’ bun and I had the pleasure in enjoying a couple of muffins for breakfast so we decided to make some today.
Originally we were planning on making our maple oatmeal loaf cake with blueberries and in muffin form but we were out of oatmeal because I’ve been on an oat’s frenzy and we were ALSO out of blueberries since we’ve been munching on them non-stop.
I swear those little guys are like nature’s candy!
Basically, nothing was going to plan but that wasn’t going to stop us from out baking adventure!
So being the geniuses we are, we decided to use CEREAL instead of oatmeal!
Crazy? Maybe a little…but they turned out amazing!
Just like with the maple oatmeal loaf cake, we soaked the cereal in a bowl of warm milk before adding in any other ingredients. I find that doing this helps keep the muffins/cake nice and moist on the inside.
Perhaps this baking endeavor ended up being a tad more adventurous than we anticipated but what’s life without adventure and all sorts of spontaneity?
Hope you like these muffins and enjoyed reading about our first time using breakfast cereal in muffin batter. What about you? What’s your favorite breakfast to have in the mornings?
This post is part of the our growing edge monthly link up party over at Bunnyeatsdesign which seeks to inspires people to try and discover new things! This month’s theme is picnic and is hosted by the lovely Pia from Joie de Vivre and Cupcakes
- ¾ cup of your favorite cereal or granola
- ½ cup milk of choice
- ⅓ cup oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar (or sub honey)
- 1 tablespoon flax meal + 3 tablespoons water (or sub 1 egg)
- 1½ cup whole wheat flour (or sub all purpose)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Microwave your milk for 45 seconds. Then add in your favorite cereal. Set aside.
- Prepare your flax egg by combining the flax meal and water in a small bowl and let it sit for 5 minutes to thicken. (skip this step if using egg instead)
- In a large bowl, whisk the oil, sugar, agave nectar and flax egg together. Pour in your cereal and milk mixture and mash it up (by now your cereal would of softened up enough to do so). Stir until incorporated.
- Sift in the whole wheat flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Mix until just combined. Do not overmix or you will have tough muffins!
- Pour into prepared muffin tins making sure that they are only ¾ full so they don't spill over when baked.
- Bake at 350F for 18 - 20 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before munching. Store in airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the fridge for up to a week.