Ahh, it’s finally almost berry season!
Is anyone else just as excited about it as I am?
Every year my family and I always go blueberry picking a couple times just to make sure that our berry cravings are satisfied. This ultimately means that we pick enough to make sure that we have some munch on all summer long, some to use for baking, some to use for jams, and them some to freeze for year-round use.
I think that we ended up picking a good 20 pounds of blueberries each trip last year and we went berry picking a grand total of 5 times!
That’s 100 pounds of blueberries and it doesn’t even include the ones we bought from grocery stores! Goodness that’s a lot! I mean that’s the weight of a small child!
Then, as if all that berry picking wasn’t enough already, we also bought 5 blueberry bushes to plant in our yard!
Yeah, we’re a berry crazy household.
Another thing we’re absolutely crazy about is cream cheese. I mean is there anything that doesn’t taste better with a dollop of cream cheese on top? I think not!
If I really had to think of a problem with cream cheese…it would probably have to be how long it takes to get it from the tub to my slice of toast or bagel. Having to open the fridge, and the tub, and then grabbing a butter knife is just one step too many for me.
But after creating this glorious loaf, that was no longer an issue. How could I have not thought of this sooner? Having my cream cheese ALREADY IN my loaf to begin with? PURE GENIUS.
Hope you love this one as much as I did darlings,
Ingredients (makes 1 loaf)
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Whisk the sugar, brown sugar, coconut oil, egg, milk and vanilla extract together in a large bowl.
- Sift in the flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold in the blueberries. Make sure you do this carefully to avoid popping the blueberries and making blue batter.
- Prepare your crumble topping by mixing all the topping ingredients together. It should resemble coarse crumbs.
- Fill your loaf pan with half the batter. Spread your softened cream cheese on top, making sure to leave a 1 cm boarder along the edges. If it is not soft enough to be spreadable, microwave it for 8 seconds. Top off your loaf with the remaining batter. Sprinkle your crumble mixture on top.
- Bake at 350F for 30 – 40 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when pierced through the middle.
- Allow the loaf to cool for 15 minutes before slicing. Store extra slices (if any) in an airtight container to keep it from drying out.
This post was created for Whats cookin’ Wednesday, a weekly foodie link-up party. Please feel free to come join the fun, I promise you won’t regret it!