Enough with the savory dumplings already, let’s make us some dessert ones! These are super easy to make because it’s really just pastry dough wrapped around pieces of apple. Of course you can always just core an apple and just wrap a whole sheet of pastry around it for a baked apple feel or you can wrap pastry around individual apple wedges if you want something less messy.I figured that they would be like portable on-the-go versions of it!
Ingredients (makes 6):
1 cups flour
1/4 cup margarine or coconut oil
1/4 cup water
1 apple (peeled and diced)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
Let’s get baking!
1. In a large bowl, cut the margarine into the flour until it resembles fine crumbs.
2. Add in the water to form a dough then refrigerate it for 15 minutes so that it firms up.
3. While the dough is firming up, peel and dice up the apples. Put the apples in a bowl and toss them in brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. Divide the dough into 4 balls.
5. Roll the dough out into 1/2 cm thick circles with a rolling pin. Place a heaping tablespoon of the apple mixture into the middle of the circle.
6. Wrap the edges of the dough around the apple filling making sure to seal it well at the top.
7. Sea the edges by pressing it lightly with a fork.
8. Bake at 325F for 20-30 minutes until dumplings are lightly browned.
These apple dumplings were such a delight to have that I made them for a dinner party the next day and they were a total hit. Lil’ bun said that they resembled mini bite sized portable apple pies! I never thought of them that way until she said it but I guess she’s right since they’re the goodness of an apple pie wrapped into a little morsel of goodness. If you want you can always place the circles of pastry into a muffin tin and then fill it with the apples instead of wrapping it all around to make mini apple tarts (: